Grief Counseling - Resources for Pet Loss and Grieving
Resources for Pet Loss and Grieving
lams Pet Loss Support Center & Hotline - (888) 332-7738
A special toll-free number for grieving pet owners available Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Florida Animal Health Foundation's Pet Grief Support Hotline - (800) 798-6196
University of Florida veterinary students and members of the FAHF board of directors are available every evening between 7:00 and 9:00 pm, 7 days a week.
American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals - (ASPCA) (877) 474-3310
Toll-free pet loss support program hotline.
College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Illinois - (877) 394-CARE
The C.A.R.E. Helpline is a toll-free hotline staffed by veterinary students and supervised by a licensed psychologist.
Iowa State University Pet Loss Support Hotline - (888) 478-7574
Toll-free hotline available September - April: 6:00 - 9:00 pm CST 7 days a week,
May-August: 6:00-9:00 pm CST Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
Books on Pet Loss/Grief for Adults
- Coping with Sorrow on the Loss of Your Pet by Moira Anderson Allen, 3rd edition, Peregrine Press, 2007
- Goodbye Friend: Healing Wisdom for Anyone Who Has Ever Lost a Pet by Gary Kowalski, Stillpoint Publishing, 1997
- The Loss of a Pet by Wallace Sife, Wiley Publishing, 2005
- Grieving the Death of a Pet by Betty Carmack, Augsburg Fortress Publishers, 2003
- Goodbye My Friend by Herb and Mary Montgomery, Montgomery Press, 2001
Books on Pet Loss/Grief for Children
- Dog Heaven by Cynthia Ryland, Scholastic Trade, 1995
- Cat Heaven by Cynthia Ryland, Scholastic Trade, 1995
- The Tenth Good Thing About Barney by Judith Viorst, Simon and Schuster, 1975
- A Special Place for Charlee: A Child’s Companion Through Pet Loss by Debbie Morehead, Partners in Publishing LLC, 1996
- When Friendship Lives Beyond the Stars by Dr. Amy Sugar, Pawsitive Resources, 2004