Veterinary Referral Hospital of Hickory is always open and staffed for pet emergencies. We provide emergency services for pet owners with walk-in pets. And we can also support pet emergency referrals from your local veterinarians.
As a level II emergency and critical care facility by Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society (VECCS), we strive to provide the highest level of 24-hour emergency medical and surgical care. We also prioritize effective and consistent communication between you and your referring veterinarian.
VRHOH has one of the few boarded criticalists in western NC on staff.
Our emergency services
When you arrive, our trained emergency room doctors, technicians, and receptionists are prepared to offer the following services:
- 24-hour staffing by doctors and nurses for your pet’s emergency care
- Immediate testing and stabilization of any medical or surgical patient
- Blood typing, cross-matching, blood and plasma transfusions for anemia and bleeding disorders
- Oxygen therapy and respiratory support for patients with respiratory distress
- Full-service, in-house stat laboratory including blood gas analysis
- Emergency surgery available at all times for emergency cases like GDV, hemoabdomen, C-section, and foreign body obstruction
After your pet’s initial examination and evaluation, our emergency team will discuss a diagnostic and treatment plan with you. Depending on the situation, a veterinarian may recommend that your pet be treated as an outpatient or be hospitalized for ongoing care. We’ll also provide an estimate for the cost of the care.