Veterinary Referral Hospital of Hickory is always open and staffed for pet emergencies. We provide emergency services for pet owners with walk-in pets. And we can also support pet emergency referrals from your local veterinarians.
As a level II emergency and critical care facility by Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society (VECCS), we strive to provide the highest level of 24-hour emergency medical and surgical care. We also prioritize effective and consistent communication between you and your referring veterinarian.
VRHOH is the only hospital in western NC with a boarded criticalist on staff.
Our emergency services
When you arrive, our trained emergency room doctors, technicians, and receptionists are prepared to offer the following services:
- 24-hour staffing by doctors and nurses for your pet’s emergency care
- Immediate testing and stabilization of any medical or surgical patient
- Blood typing, cross-matching, blood and plasma transfusions for anemia and bleeding disorders
- Oxygen therapy and respiratory support for patients with respiratory distress
- Full-service, in-house stat laboratory including blood gas analysis
- Emergency surgery available at all times for emergency cases like GDV, hemoabdomen, C-section, and foreign body obstruction
After your pet’s initial examination and evaluation, our emergency team will discuss a diagnostic and treatment plan with you. Depending on the situation, a veterinarian may recommend that your pet be treated as an outpatient or be hospitalized for ongoing care. We’ll also provide an estimate for the cost of the care.